Communicating Ocean Sciences Instructors' Workshop
Date: 06/07/10 - 06/11/10
Location: University of California Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Science
Presented by COSEE California and The Lawrence Hall of Science, University of California, Berkeley
Sponsored by the National Science Foundation
The Instructors' Workshop at the University of California Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Science prepares scientists & science educators interested in teaching one of the Communicating Ocean Sciences courses, at their institutions. Communicating Ocean Sciences are university courses that introduce graduate and undergraduate science students to science pedagogy and learning theory, and helps students to better communicate their knowledge to the public. The courses are designed to be co-taught by an ocean scientist and science educator.
There are two versions of the Communicating Ocean Sciences course:
- Communicating Ocean Sciences (COS K-12), that places students in formal K-12 classrooms where they teach a 6-week ocean sciences unit
- Communicating Ocean Sciences to Informal Audiences (COSIA) that places students in informal learning environments (aquariums, science centers, etc) where they teach the public about ocean sciences
During this 2.5-day COS Instructors' Workshop, we will provide you with:
- Complete syllabus and instructor's guide
- A full set of curricula for students to take into local classrooms for COS K-12 or COSIA activities that students can use in informal learning environments
- Correlations of course curriculum to pedagogy and National Science Education Standards
- Documentation to get the course listed at your site
- Ongoing technical assistance to ensure successful implementation of the course
- An introduction to each of the class sessions, and help to customize the syllabus for your local setting and needs
Whether you are a scientist at a university or an educator at an informal learning environment, come learn about the course and how you can prepare future ocean scientists to communicate their understanding of and passion for the ocean.
Visit the course website for more information and to download the Instructors’ Workshop application form at http://www.coseeca.net/programs/communicatingoceansciences.
CAN’T MAKE IT TO BERKELEY? Don’t worry. We can come to you. If you’d like to host a customized COS Instructor’s Workshop in your region, just let us know.
Contact Name: Catherine Halversen
Contact Phone: (510) 642-5008
Contact Email: email@example.com
Return to Archived Event List