Hurricanes: Science and Society to Offer Free Webinar Series - 02.07.2012
The 2012 Hurricanes: Science and Society (HSS) Webinar Series is designed to provide educators with an opportunity to meet some of the top hurricane scientists in the country, while learning about their research and being introduced to a range of hurricane related topics. Target audiences are instructors of high school and undergraduate level courses and informal science educators.
Each webinar is 1 hour long and starts at 7PM Eastern Time.
Click here to register.
Webinars, dates, and presenters are:
Basic Hurricane Science (Tuesday, February 28, 2012)
- Introduction to the HSS Webinar Series - Isaac Ginis, Univeristy of Rhode Island
- Hurricane Structure - Rich Yablonsky, University of Rhode Island
- Hurricane Movement - TBA
- Hurricane Lifecycle - Mark DeMaria, NOAA - CIRA
Hurricane Observation and Forecasting (Tuesday, March 13, 2012)
- Hurricane Observations - Jack Beven (NOAA - National Hurricane Center)
- Hurricane Modeling - Isaac Ginis (Univeristy of Rhode Island)
- Hurricane Forecasting - Dan Brown (NOAA - National Hurricane Center)
- Hurricane Seasonal Hurricane Activity (Eric Blake, NOAA - National Hurricane Center)
Hurricane Hazards and Impacts (Tuesday, April 24, 2012)
- Hurricane Winds/Tornadoes - Mark Powell (NOAA - Hurricane Research Division)
- Storm Surge/Flooding - Jeff Pereira (NOAA - National Hurricane Center)
- Coastal Impacts - Doug Meffert (Tulane/Xavier Center for Bioenvironmental Research)
Hurricane History, Climate Change and Hurricanes (Tuesday, May 1, 2012)
- Past Hurricanes (Kerry Emanuel, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Long-term Records of Hurricane Activity (Chris Landsea, NOAA - National Hurricane Center)
- Projections of Future Hurricane Activity (Tom Knutson, NOAA - Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory)
Hurricane Preparedness (Tuesday, May 22, 2012)*
- Assessing Your Risk (Rick Knabb, The Weather Channel)
- Preparation to Response and Recovery (Brandon Bolinski, FEMA - Region IV Hurricane Program Manager)
*Presented as part of National Hurricane Preparedness Week
The 2012 HSS Webinar Series is presented by The University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography in partnership with the American Meteorological Society, Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE), and the National Hurricane Center.
Return to News Archive